If you're a homeowner, then you know that there are a lot of things to keep up with on your property. Between mowing the lawn, trimming the hedges, and maintaining the roof, it can be tough to keep track of everything. One thing that might not be on your radar is your bulkhead. What is a bulkhead, and what does it do? Keep reading to find out!
The main goal of a basement bulkhead is to allow access to a basement from the outside of the house. The structure is usually made of concrete or stone, and it includes a stairway that leads to the ground level. It also serves as an additional access point to enter the house. This is perfect for moving larger, dirtier items such as washers, dryers, gardening supplies and more.
Here are some signs that your bulkhead needs waterproofing:
1. There is water pooling on your bulkhead or around your bulkhead. This is a sign that there is a leak in your bulkhead that is allowing water to seep through. If left unchecked, this can lead to serious damage to your bulkhead and foundation.
2. You bulkhead is discolored or has cracks in it. This is another sign of water damage and indicates that you bulkhead is not properly sealing out moisture. If not repaired, this can lead to further damage and even collapse.
3. Your bulkhead doors are hard to open or close. This can be caused by warping from moisture damage. If your doors are difficult to open or close, it can be very difficult to keep your bulkhead waterproofed.
4. There is musty or moldy smells coming from around your bulkhead. This is a sign of leaks or excessive moisture, which can lead to mold and mildew growth. If you notice musty smells, it is important to call a professional right away to assess the situation.
5. You have noticed insects or other pests around your bulkhead. Insects are attracted to moisture, so if you see them near your bulkhead, it is likely that there is a moisture problem that needs to be addressed. Professional waterproofing can help to keep pests away and prevent further damage to your bulkhead.
If you notice any of these signs, it is important to call a professional bulkhead repair company right away. Waterproofing your bulkhead is the best way to prevent serious damage and keep your foundation safe. We encourage you to call a foundation or bulkhead professional who has the experience and expertise to properly assess the situation and make the necessary repairs.